Friday, January 26, 2018

Meeting with the governor


Today started with a meeting with the governor of Elgeyo-Marakwet county about developing sports medicine services in Iten. He was very happy to meet us and seems genuinely interested in providing what is necessary to develop a sports medicine center in Iten. It was encouraging to have a government official request to open a meeting with prayer and we happily obliged. This is not something that happens often in the USA.





We had another successful day of conference. 38 attendees and all were very excited to receive a certificate of attendance, except for one individual who was disappointed it wasn’t printed in color. Cerificates are part of protocol in Kenya.






It is hard to explain how busy this week has been. I brought 3 books to read thinking I would have some time to read in the evenings. So far I have read one chapter of one book and that was on the plane. Every day has been scheduled from 7:30 am until 9:00 pm and some nights later to prepare for the conference. We are exhausted at the end of each day. There is a big hole in the middle of my mattress so the sleep is not too restful either. I am looking forward to the weekend at Kapsowar to visit friends, relax and debrief after this week. We have had devotions every night in the book of James and tonight was a great finish in chapter 5. 


Except for the clinic and conference I did very little scheduling for this week. I can only give credit to God for all the connections we made. If we had a film crew with us we could have made great documentary on Kenyan running. Almost any important figure in the Kenyan running community we met this week. I also think Wesley Korir will be president of Kenya one day. Just my humble prediction.


Today at the conference I met an assistant coach from St Patrick’s school and he was so excited about our teaching that he said we must meet Brother Colm before we leave tomorrow. You have to read the book “Running with the Kenyans” if you don’t know about Brother Colm. We will meet him tomorrow at his camp at 9 am. 


More to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Meeting with the governor

Today started with a meeting with the governor of Elgeyo-Marakwet county about developing sports medicine services in Iten. He was very hap...